Is Sushi Safe to Eat? 8 Tips for Safer Sushi

7 of 9
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

7. Tapeworms

Table Of Contents hide
Tapeworms

Humans have a variety of internal parasites running around in our system. Fish also houses several parasites that get transferred to the person eating the fish. One such parasite is tapeworms which usually enter our bodies through contaminated food or water.

Tapeworms eggs or larvae that inhabit the fish’s muscles enter our body. Since in sushi these fishes are eaten raw and aren’t cooked, the parasite is not killed. Once the tapeworm enters our body, it shares everything you eat.

Intestinal tapeworm infections are usually mild with nausea, diarrhea, vomiting and in some cases, there won’t even be any symptoms. But invasive larval infections can cause serious damage such as cystic masses or lumps, allergic reactions, neurological problems including seizures.

7 of 9
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse