Is Sushi Safe to Eat? 8 Tips for Safer Sushi

2. Mercury Poisoning

Mercury Poisoning

We are all aware of the rampant industrial pollution of our seas and oceans and mercury is just one of the harmful chemicals. Fish take in mercury and then the mercury passes to you when you eat the fish. Ocean fish like tuna, sea bass, bluefin, yellowtail, and lobster are full of mercury. So the sushi might be poisoning you. The more you eat, the more mercury gets into your system.

Mercury can affect the nervous system, leading to neurological problems such as memory problems, anxiety, mood changes, numbness, depression, physical tremors. Mercury poisoning affects people slowly overtime when they come in frequent contact with mercury. Mercury poisoning is known to have long term effects on fetuses and children.